Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

the musings of a san diego mom who loves her city, her life and her boys.

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

inspiring hope

first, i'd like to preface this by saying i am not into politics.
but here we are. a moment in history,
and no matter what the outcome of the next four years,
this day will forever be remembered and talked about.

i found myself glued to public radio on my drive to work this morning.
the reporters were in dc to cover obama's inauguration and all the  fesitivities
leading up to it. people came from all over the country to be part of this historic day.
i listened to a 70 yr old retired schoolteacher from florida being interviewed.
she was using a walker and said she was "cold as hell but wouldn't miss it for the world."

she went on to say she believed this day will inspire children not only in this country
but around the world. her words moved me.
next i heard a children's choir singing 'god bless america'.
i found myself with a lump in my throat and very proud to be an american.
i haven't been able to say that for a very long time but today inspired hope in me.

even though finn will most likely never remember this day,
i wanted to do something special - something symbolic to welcome this new era.
since he loves to bring his glass up to ours for toasts,
i gave him milk in a wine glass tonight and over dinner,
we toasted to president obama and to peace.

if you haven't had a chance to read or listen to president obama's inauguration speech,
it's worth taking a few minutes. if anything, it should make you feel good and inspire hope.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
San Diego, CA, United States
I'm a Southern California mom to 2 boys and a wifey to my long-time love. I work full-time and life is a bit crazy, but I strive to remember to take time to enjoy the little things, because in the end, it's those things that will matter most.