Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

the musings of a san diego mom who loves her city, her life and her boys.

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

a sister or a puppy

the best way to get a puppy is to beg for a baby brother -
and they'll settle for a puppy every time.
- winston pendelton



several times over the past six months, finn has asked christopher and/or i for a baby sister.
the first conversation occured when i was setting the table:
finn: mommy i really want a baby sister
me: (almost dropping a dish) why would you want a sister finn? you have a perfectly good baby brother.
finn: but he's not a girl mommy. we have 3 boys in our family, and one girl. we need another girl.
me: we do have 3 boys and just me, but i think four is the perfect size family for us.

i thought the idea was out of his head but it came up a second time.
finn crawled into bed with me on a lazy saturday morning.
scout was asleep and christopher was in the shower and finn started kissing me all over my face.

me: WOW. what is all this sugar for buddy?
finn: i'm making a baby sister mommy.
me: *shocked* um, that's not how you make a baby finn.
finn: well how do you make a baby mommy?
me: (OMG - he's 5 yr old - why is he asking this question). why don't you ask dad.
finn: (walks into the bathroom where c is) dad, how do you make a baby?
christopher: silence
finn: are you listening? how do you make a baby? mommy said to ask you.
christopher: we'll talk about it later ok?

finn got distracted and later never came.
i don't think neither of us were ready to answer that question - not YET at least.
luckily, c was able to distract him by talking about plans for the day,
but that came out of nowhere.

it was just another reminder that he isn't a toddler anymore.
he's a curious little boy with alot of questions.
c and i have discussed getting a dog, but it's a few years away.
we want to them to be old enough to help care for it (we really need more space too).

i've always loved the look of a beagle,
but i don't know anything about the breed.
i figured we were still years away and i had time,
but if finn doesn't let up with the sister talk,
a dog might be closer in our future that we planned. *smile*

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
San Diego, CA, United States
I'm a Southern California mom to 2 boys and a wifey to my long-time love. I work full-time and life is a bit crazy, but I strive to remember to take time to enjoy the little things, because in the end, it's those things that will matter most.