Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

the musings of a san diego mom who loves her city, her life and her boys.

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

hand in hand

love at first sight is easy to understand;
it’s when two people have been looking at each
other for a lifetime that it becomes a miracle.
- amy bloom




today is my parent's 48th anniversary.

yes - they are almost to their 'golden' (50th) anniversary.
i type with a smile on my face as this is truly something to celebrate.

finding couples who make it that far in a marriage is rare anymore.
most statistics show that about 50% of marriages in america will end in divorce.
it's a sobering statistic and makes me sad.

when i see those rare couples who have been married for many years,
it makes me happy and hopeful.
my parents are one of these couples.

i'm not so naive to know that every marriage has it's difficulties,
and i know my parent's have certainly had their share of tough times - sicknesses,
a job loss, a career change, retirement, and raising 7 kids was no small feat either.
mom has said that raising teenagers was one of the toughest challenges in their marriage.
i believe this and apologized.

fortunately, those days are long gone and they are enjoying being grandparents which is certainly
just as much fun and maybe even more. no my parents marriage isn't perfect, but they have made
a beautiful life together and have mastered the art of companionship.

some of the things i've noticed they do well - not sweating the small stuff, they forgive,
show tolerance, keep a sense of humor, support each other yet still give each other their space.
these are things they've worked on over the years and have got nailed down well.

my mom and dad's marriage is my real life example of what a good marriage is and should be.
i've been lucky that way.

happy anniversary mom and dad.
thanks for showing us how it's done! *wink*
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
San Diego, CA, United States
I'm a Southern California mom to 2 boys and a wifey to my long-time love. I work full-time and life is a bit crazy, but I strive to remember to take time to enjoy the little things, because in the end, it's those things that will matter most.