Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

the musings of a san diego mom who loves her city, her life and her boys.

Sunday, May 9, 2010

mother's day: 2010

we never know the love of the parent until we become parents ourselves.
- henry ward beecher

























i adore this photo of my mom and me.
there are very few of just the two of us, so i treasure it.

i feel a little sad for those woman who choose not to experience motherhood.
i know not everyone is able to have a baby, or may not even have the ability to adopt,
but i can't help but think if those that simply chose not to, would think differently if they
knew that, as tough as it is, it's also a bit of heaven on earth.

i think about all the different kinds of love we have - love for our partner, friends, family,
and our pets. these loves are strong, very strong, but i don't think they compare to the love a
mother has for her children.  it's fierce, protective, and permanent. i'm convinced there is
nothing more powerful.

as my boys shower me with love and affection today, i celebrate my mother too.
though i can't be with her physically, she is close to my heart.  i wanted to share some
heartfelt reasons why she is so special to me. here are just a few:

1) mom takes the time to talk to me.
i wish i would have talked to her more during my 20s but i was selfish on some level and didn't realize all the wisdom she possessed. when finn was born, things changed. our talking increased 10x. i called her all the time - to ask questions about parenting, to bounce my ideas off her, etc. i didn't have many friends who were moms yet, and i needed to talk to a pro. there was NO ONE better than my mom to call. today, we continue to talk often and about everything - children, marriage, siblings, friends, work, etc. our conversations flow like wine at a great dinner party. they are warm and so good.  

2) mom makes me laugh.
she has a great sense of humor and can even laugh at herself. i love this quality in her!
parenting brings huge responsibilities and since becoming one, i've become a more serious person.  i realize this is normal on some level as the task is monumental, but sometimes i'm probably too serious.  mom reminds me that - even in all the responsibilites, it's ok to stop and laugh - at the kids, life and myself.  she also reminds me that kids grow up and alot of the physical tasks i have to do now will be far less.  she helps put things into perspective.

3) mom is the most selfless woman on the planet. she always puts others before herself. there are thousands of examples of this: staying up late hemming pants i bought that evening because i *had* to wear them to school the next day, putting in endless hours helping with school projects, taxiing me all over town, staying up all night nursing sick children, etc. she sacrifices so much to her family, yet she seems to balance her own needs which makes her even more incredible.

4) mom has never met a stranger.
she's outgoing and makes everyone feel special when she speaks with them. 
she has the art of conversation perfected.  no one would be surprised if a walk around the block took well over an hour. we know she'll have probably stopped and had conversations with several people along the way - some even strangers (until that day). i love this about her and attribute my love of people and my outgoing personality to her. whether she's seated next to a CEO of a major company or an 80 year old grandma on a plane, she's comfortable and will enjoy the company of this person.

5) mom has shown me what a good wife and good marriage is all about. she understands what committment is, has loved my dad through ups and downs, and always made marriage her priority. she taught me how to set boundaries for my marriage, counseled me, and encouraged me by telling me what she’s noticed i do great in my own marriage and even reminds me of the great things my husband does. mom and dad are approaching their golden (50th) anniversary and well, this is special.  not everyone is so lucky to witness great marriages between their parents. i am blessed.

happy mother's day mom.
you really do make everything and everyone around you more beautiful!

and to all the moms out there, happy mother's day to you.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
San Diego, CA, United States
I'm a Southern California mom to 2 boys and a wifey to my long-time love. I work full-time and life is a bit crazy, but I strive to remember to take time to enjoy the little things, because in the end, it's those things that will matter most.