Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

the musings of a san diego mom who loves her city, her life and her boys.

Monday, January 24, 2011

read me a story

since i've been reading nonstop for the past few days days,
it seems appropriate to dedicate another post to reading.

i'm reading or rather devouring this book right now:





















the help is a book i've been wanting to read for well over a year.
it came recommended by several girlfriends and even complete strangers.
they couldn't say enough good things about it, and a chapter into it, i could see why.

this book is beautifully written and is much more than a story about the black woman of
jackson, mississippi who are the 'help' to the white woman in the early 1960s.

the story is really about 3 extraordinary woman and how their determination change a town,
and the way woman of that time (caregivers, white employers, mothers, daughters) view each other.
i admit, this book has me laughing and crying  - ALOT. 

it has moved me so deeply that i want to to run out and buy a copy for all the woman in my life.
the help is truly a wonderful story - the best book i've read in a long time.

i've been feeling a bit guilty for having my nose in this book so much
so i was making an effort to read only after the boys went down at night.
then over the weekend, i thought about it more and convinced myself a
a little weekend day reading isn't going to hurt them any.
i think the boys need to see me reading for pure enjoyment.

i've been reading to them every night since they were about 6 months old,
and though it's important, at their ages this isn't enough.
if c and i want to encourage readers, we need to lead by example.
they need to see us reading.

finn knows the benefits of reading and when he heard me excitedly discussing my new
book club and this month's selection with christopher, he was happy to share that he
likes to read and what he learned in school about it.

now i know reading helps with vocabulary and gives us glimpses into other cultures and history,
but finn reminded me it keeps our minds active (unlike the boob tube) and it helps improve memory.

now that reason alone caught my attention.
i'm forever making lists because i can't remember anything!!

i'll end this post with a a little video clip of scoutie reading (memorizing) his current favorite book:
five little monkeys that was a gift from the utah gerbers and we must have read it 100x already.
he can't seem to get enough of this little book.

(coming - file was to large, need to do some editing)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
San Diego, CA, United States
I'm a Southern California mom to 2 boys and a wifey to my long-time love. I work full-time and life is a bit crazy, but I strive to remember to take time to enjoy the little things, because in the end, it's those things that will matter most.