Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

the musings of a san diego mom who loves her city, her life and her boys.

Sunday, November 15, 2009

happy and humbled

if you want to run, run a mile. if you want to experience a different life, run a marathon.
- email zatopek




i'm going to be bold and say i think this can be said for half marathoners as well. there's no doubt that 26.2 is ALOT farther than a half, but 13.1 miles is still a trek and it really is a different life out there on the course. it's tough, and most have to literally psyche themselves up to get through it. myself included.


today, my friend jeff sammons, sis jen, ( both marathon partners in 2002), my coworker tina and friend abby all ran the silver strand half marathon and finished. it was a bit warm for this time of year (70 degrees) and the sun was out the entire race. we were all hoping for some cloud coverage, but we weren't that lucky. regardless we made it and finished with respectable times. it wasn't my best time (2:17), but given the training i did or lack of, i couldn't expect much more.

my day started at 4:45am. i ate a piece of toast with peanut butter, taped my toes together (isolating my 2nd toe on right foot) to lessen the pain and not to cause further damage. i met my possee and we were on the road at 5:30am so we could arrive early enough to catch a shuttle bus to the starting line. this was abby's FIRST half so she was giddy with excitment. she must have taken 25 photos with her i-phone. *grin* as soon as i get my hands on them, i'll post one.

i must not forgot the challenged athletes in their wheelchairs who both inspired and humbled me along the way - especially seeing a young woman without the use of her legs, pedaling with her arms, as i was complaining to jeff 'my legs felt like bricks'. seeing her and others really put things into perspective.

congratulations girls (and jeff) for sticking in there! we did it and can feel a sense of accomplishment as we hobble around tomorrow at work. well you 'young thangs' might not be hobbling, but i have no doubt i will be. i don't think i will be wearing high heels tomorrow. *grin*







abby, tina & jen
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
San Diego, CA, United States
I'm a Southern California mom to 2 boys and a wifey to my long-time love. I work full-time and life is a bit crazy, but I strive to remember to take time to enjoy the little things, because in the end, it's those things that will matter most.