Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

the musings of a san diego mom who loves her city, her life and her boys.

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

guys and dolls



google






















our family had a jam packed weekend but the thing that will stick
with me forever will be our family outing to the avo playhouse to see
guys and dolls on stage.  though I've gone to theater with c since we
were newlyweds, and i've taken the boys, this was our first theater
experience together and all of our first times at this little playhouse.

oh how i LOVE this play!

of all the 'older' stage productions i've seen to date, and i'll define 'older' as plays written
prior to 1950, guys and dolls is at the very top of my list.  it's not flashy, but it's really fun.
it's got gambling, two love stories, lots of humor, and finally, great music by frank loesser.

I am sure I had a cheesy grin on my face the entire show.  i was thoroughly enjoying it,
and couldn't help thinking about my whole experience performing in guys and dolls at
city college  all those years ago {2003}.  those months of rehearsals after work with my
sister leslie were amazing...truly unforgettable. we grew so close during those months -
bonding over our love of music and dance.  we met so many talented folks, and we even
had a little fun flirting with the cutest actors. *grin*

seeing the show for my first time as part of the audience was a whole different experience. 
i was able to enjoy it in a relaxed way, and all with my favorite peeps by my side!    

when adelaide and the dolls' bushel and a peck number came up,
finn and scout's face lite up as they recognized the song.
i've been singing this to them since birth.  though I shared with them
where it came from, hearing it sung in context and where it originated
made it more meaningful.

a fellow theater goer was kind enough to snap a family
photo of us on my phone before we went in.
























including this photo for the signage!






















~ on the way home i shared with finn that he was actually with me during
my final performances at city college.  he looked confused and i explained that
i was just a few weeks pregnant with him towards the end of the show.  i remember
being so glad we timed it perfectly, so i would feel ok and still fit into my costumes.
it was difficult but i kept mum for 12 weeks not even telling my sister, my mom and
my aunt donna who flew out to san diego from florida to see a performance.
{i can hardly believe it's been 11 years}
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
San Diego, CA, United States
I'm a Southern California mom to 2 boys and a wifey to my long-time love. I work full-time and life is a bit crazy, but I strive to remember to take time to enjoy the little things, because in the end, it's those things that will matter most.