Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

the musings of a san diego mom who loves her city, her life and her boys.

Friday, November 21, 2014

scout's first book club

two weeks ago, we  received an email from scout's teacher informing us
and a small group of parents that our children had been selected to be
in a 'special' book club. i loved the sound of this immediately.

this book club was special, because it would be lead by the director of explorer.
scout was one of four 2nd graders selected and he was beyond excited!

he came home not knowing that his teacher had already sent an email to the
parents to share the news, so i didn't let on when he ran to greet me at my car door
when i arrived home from work.  with a huge grin on his face, he told me all about
it and informed me that his best friend spencer was selected as well.

he told me the are currently reading the award winning book, the one and only ivan
i had heard wonderful things about this book and actually had it saved in my amazon
cart for christmas. 

it warmed my heart to see genuine support from finn. 
when i commented on how great this club sounded,
finn chimed in with "it is mom, it's a BIG deal that scout got selected".
(scout beamed as he really loves big brother's approval)

we are so proud of our ravenous little reader!
books have given him so much knowledge about so many things,
they've helped with his writing and spelling
{give his almost any word and he'll spell it for you}.
last, he's gained so much confidence in himself through reading.

here's our little reader with his buddies awaiting the director to arrive.


 2nd grade book group
left to right: spencer, josie and scout




























~ while scout's been reading this book at school,
at home he's been reading the harry potter series all over again
he finished the final book {#7} on monday night. 
he was literally beaming afterwards.
it was as if he had just finished a delectable desert.

months back i inquired as to why he was reading the series again
since he read them all in 1st grade last year.
and because there were lots of book in our library he hadn't read yet.
he emphatically said because the harry potter books are THE BEST EVER!!! 

i smiled and said i totally get it.  i've read books and watched movies over too.

books - they are so wonderful and oh so important. 
a momma friend shared this article with me yesterday.
it made me smile and reminded me reading matters...ALOT.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
San Diego, CA, United States
I'm a Southern California mom to 2 boys and a wifey to my long-time love. I work full-time and life is a bit crazy, but I strive to remember to take time to enjoy the little things, because in the end, it's those things that will matter most.