Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

the musings of a san diego mom who loves her city, her life and her boys.

Monday, August 11, 2014

let their be light

just when our home was starting to get comfortable for me,
we are back to a construction site...it's not like when we first moved in,
but it's raw once again.  this is currently our living room:  

we now have plywood up where we used to have drywall. 
a huge beam had to be installed to hold the roof/home as we
installed two 10' sliding doors.     






 


though christopher warned me that it will look worse before it looks better,
i still got a little anxiety when i came home to find the entire back half of our home missing!
though i've worked for architects and engineers most of my adult life, i'm not on jobsites much
so it's not an every day thing for me.
 
c assures me the worst is over. the thin layer of dust that was covering everything is gone,
and the stucco guys will be back to finish the texture coat around every exterior window and
these doors this week. the interior work will start on friday and go through next week. 
 
despite all the dust, noise and inconvenience from this construction work,
these new doors bring in even more light which we truly love. they also allow people to flow
more easily between indoors and outdoors and that's key since we live outdoors most of the year.
my hope is when we come back from our ca roadtrip next weekend, our living room won't look
like a construction site anymore.

~ we attended sweet baby jackson's first birthday/house warming party yesterday.
the 'mostly adult' party was tons of fun and before the party started, jackson's dad gave us
all a tour of their 'construction site'.


as i walked through their home, i kept thinking they have hundreds more projects than
the gerber family.  it gave me a different perspective.
our mid century home requires lots
of work, but a 1920s home requires much more
{all new electrical, hvac, etc}.
it's a lot for anyone, much less parents who both have full time jobs, a dog and a one year old.


whew - I get dizzy just thinking about it. 
 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
San Diego, CA, United States
I'm a Southern California mom to 2 boys and a wifey to my long-time love. I work full-time and life is a bit crazy, but I strive to remember to take time to enjoy the little things, because in the end, it's those things that will matter most.