Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

the musings of a san diego mom who loves her city, her life and her boys.

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

a boy with a book

when the boys were younger,
they wouldn't mind running errands with me.
i dragged them everywhere - the grocery store,
target, michaels, the dry cleaners, post office, etc.

as they grew, they started detesting shopping...of any kind.
{the toy store barely interests them} *sigh*
they want to be outdoors playing or building...anything
but shopping.  they are typical boys. 

now i try to run my errands during my lunch hour or in the
evenings after they go to bed, or even at 6am before they wake up
so i can maximize my time with them.

still on occasion, i'll need to pick up something when they are with me.
i promise to be 'quick' and scout will roll his eyes, say ok, and grab a
book and jump into the cart.

he doesn't mind it at all that he's not a toddler or preschooler. 
he tells me he "prefers it because he can focus and not worry about losing me."
{or me losing him}.  it's happened.  he had his head in a book while trailing
behind me and he went straight while i turned.

at age 7, he can still {just barely}squeeze into the toddler seat in the
front of the cart too but he prefers the larger, more roomier compartment. 


scout, age 7


so what's on scout's reading list this summer?
the lemony snicket series is at the very top of his list.
he's currently on book 8 of 13 and asked us to take him to the
library before he gets on the road so he can get 
books 9-13.
he plans on doing "lots of reading in the car".
{of course i thought}


 
 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
San Diego, CA, United States
I'm a Southern California mom to 2 boys and a wifey to my long-time love. I work full-time and life is a bit crazy, but I strive to remember to take time to enjoy the little things, because in the end, it's those things that will matter most.