Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

the musings of a san diego mom who loves her city, her life and her boys.

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

scout's first short story




my five year old is writing and illustrating his first book -
well it's actually a series of short {very short} adventure stories.
and i wanted to be sure to remember it since he's worked so
hard on it and is so proud of it.

here is one page from it.




























can you read what he wrote about - Pirates!
i will interpret {i'm getting better with child #2}.
it reads: one day i went on a pirate ship. then i went overboard. 
the parrot picked me up and put me back on the ship.

i love his creativity.
i also was confused why this kid who can read 4th and 5th grade level
chapter books almost effortlessly, couldn't spell these simple words.
i spoke with his sweet teacher mis lim about it a few months ago,
and she said this was perfectly normal.  spelling comes 'after' reading.

i thought about it a bit more and it's so true.
i wonder why i didn't see it at first...maybe my expectations were too high?
i'm also not a teacher. {i don't work with children daily on reading and writing}
so as my kindergartner learns to write, his mother learned something too.

i hope you had a wonderful weekend.
as always, they go by too fast.
even taking friday off and having a 3-day weekend,
mine was too short...aren't they all!

i am looking forward to is a little playtime this week.
i'm having a little post birthday celebration here tonight
with a few girlfriends. i'm really looking forward to it!!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
San Diego, CA, United States
I'm a Southern California mom to 2 boys and a wifey to my long-time love. I work full-time and life is a bit crazy, but I strive to remember to take time to enjoy the little things, because in the end, it's those things that will matter most.