Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

the musings of a san diego mom who loves her city, her life and her boys.

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

gone with the wind

no, i don't think i will kiss you although you need kissing, badly.
that's what's wrong with you. you should be kissed and often,
and by someone who knows how.
- rhett butler
























oh i love these lines from the movie.

a few weeks ago
when the boys were digging through our collection of dvds,
finn pulled gone with the wind out and asked if it were any good.
good?! it's AMAZING was my response.

it had been probably 10 years since i had last watched it.
i was long overdue so i took it and dropped into my laptop
that afternoon as I was folding 4 loads of laundry.
{finn watched bits and pieces, but the love scenes turned him off}

it took me 2 weekends to watch this almost 3 hours and 58 minute movie.
but i finally got through it.

i had forgotten how brilliant this movie is -
the music, the cinematography and the acting.
it was so ahead of it's time (was released in 1939)
and despite it's years, it was still easy to watch.

the cd jacket said it won 10 academy awards
and, adjusting for inflation, that's it's the highest-grossing film ever.
i wasn't surprised - it's an epic film in every sense of the word.

and rhett butler,
was there ever a greater anti-hero?
i can't think of one.
he's handsome, mysterious, street-smart and unconventional.

he seems to be the first {and only} person
who ever could get the better of scarlett in a verbal duel.
all throughout the movie, there's hints of what he is capable of
for a woman he loves but. he would move the earth for her.

unfortunately, scarlett discovered this too late.
no one can forget rhett's famous last words to her,
"frankly my dear...

as i was gushing over the movie to c,
confessing my love of scarlett, rhett and mammy {scarlett's caregiver}.
he asked me if i ever read the book by margaret mitchell.
i could hardly believe my answer was "no".
it's one of my favorite older movies.

right then, i declared i was going to read it this year -
squeeze it in between my monthly book club reads.
last night i purchased the ebook for my kindle fire,
i'm one step closer.

i'm very excited!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
San Diego, CA, United States
I'm a Southern California mom to 2 boys and a wifey to my long-time love. I work full-time and life is a bit crazy, but I strive to remember to take time to enjoy the little things, because in the end, it's those things that will matter most.