Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

the musings of a san diego mom who loves her city, her life and her boys.

Sunday, November 17, 2013

silver strand half marathon 2013

for the first time in a long time,
i was up BEFORE the boys on sunday morning.

at 5:45am i was out the door on my way to the
silver strand half in coronado with my girlfriend kate.
we stumbled across these other characters before the race.
here we are looking so relaxed.

jen, mandi, tina, me and kate
 



by 10am, were had all run 13.1 miles,
and as much as i'd like to say it was just a walk in the park,
it wasn't.  i was SO happy to be done! 























here we are proudly posing with our new medals.
two second later, we were off to buy a giant salted pretzel.

my friend kate had a fantastic run.
she finished in under 2 hours!
{something i haven't done since pre-kids}
my time was just under 2:30...my slowest ever. *sigh*

just 2 years ago, i could run a half and feel fine,
with just a little tightness the next day.

during this run, my knees started hurting just before mile 10.
i refused to stop running so i suffered the last 3.1 miles
with inflammation in my right knee.

i couldn't stop wondering how older people can run half and even
full marathons?  are they superhuman or do they just get cortizone shots
where they hurt before and not a feel a thing.  maybe that's the secret.

anyway, it felt great to check off another half,
but i think i'm going to stick to 10k races {6.2 miles} in the future.
i don't want a hip or knee replacement down the road.

my coworker is already looking ahead for her next race.
she asked if i was interested in running the rock n roll half  2 person relay.
{one does 6.1 miles and the other does 7 miles}.
mmmm, now that's more doable. 

i'm considerin'....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
San Diego, CA, United States
I'm a Southern California mom to 2 boys and a wifey to my long-time love. I work full-time and life is a bit crazy, but I strive to remember to take time to enjoy the little things, because in the end, it's those things that will matter most.